IoaB Essays, Rants, and Poems
In naming this site
Instead of a Blog, I had intended to put myself under no obligation to post on a regular basis. Note several large gaps in publishing schedule (hover your mouse over the links for posting dates). I've placed the most recent commentary last on this list:
- Why Authoritarian on the Nolan Chart?
- Memories of My First Mac
- The Myth of the Virtuous Marines
- Open Letter: Of Dueling Civilizations
- Truth and God
- The Anti-Capitalist Mentality?
- American Terrorism: Where's the War Against That?
- Beached Leviathan
- Blogger Life?
- Fine Art Music, Not Classical and Not Popular, Either!
- Is This Shrugging or Running With Tails Between Legs?
- Ayn Rand: An Unsympathetic Introduction
- Some of My Best Friends Are Objectivists!
- The Anti-Weasel Mentality
- A Letter to the President
- The Good Word: Deconvolve?
- Extremism! Falwell! Popular music!
- No Quick End in Sight
- Dear Mr. Idiot, er, Mr. President
- Adultery in Literature, c. 1880
- Who Reads Mencken Now?
- The Political Corrupts the Personal
- The Death of Ivan Illich
- Thank Bush?
- The Fumes Are All Wet
- Why Did the Salamander Cross the Road?
- Worst President, Current Term
- A Reader Excoriates Herbert Spencer
- Making the List: Competing Novels and Scarce Mean(ing)s
- Three Great Symphonies
- Tibor Serly's Unsexy Music
- SPAMplitude: In Praise of the Trash Icon
- Seeing Dreams Become Nearly Real
- A Gnomiology, With Disrespect
- Legislator in Chief?
- Power Corrupts, Even in College
- Starry Night, and After
- Was Herbert Spencer a Social Darwinist? (Am I?)
- Ode to Spartina
- Knave vs. Fool? Bush and Kerry on the Alleged Iraq Threat
- The Libertarian Party, Time to Call It a Night
- Virginia's One-Term Governorship Limit: A Proposed Reform
- Alabama Judge, Fool for the Law
- Mencken's Method
- Explaining Counter-cultural Meaning, With Some Reference to Nirvana
- Strange Bird: The Education of an Education Critic (part one)
- Ends and Means: A Few Notes
- The Great American Symphony
- Social "Security" Privatization, Some Whys and Wherefores
- Cruel and Unusual Jurisprudence?
- Keeping Cool
- Fashion vs. the Curators
- Spencer's Relative Grasp on the Absolute
- Principles for Conservatism?
- Against Slavery and For Evolution
- Barren Sexual Partners, Unite!
- Will the Real Dumbass Please Speak Up?
- Unsurprised by Commitment
- Renaming and Rethinking America's So-Called Civil War
- R.W. Bradford and Liberty: Memories in Search of a Thesis
- The Right to Life vs. the Duty to Live
- The Point of Libertarianism: Wealth?
- Hey, Jude: The King James Version's Obvious Superiority
- A Preface to Qualitarianism
- On Remaining Unashamed of Anti-imperialism
- The Philosophy of Body Hair
- Authoritarianism and Totalitarianism: A Distinction Refined
- What If You Ran for President and Nobody Noticed?
You may wish to click the
other writing button at top right for essays and reviews by me that have appeared in other venues (see the left-hand menu on that page for links). Yes, some of these were written before the World Wide Web came into existence. But that page's main content is, gasp, my blog — which formerly was called Designated Semiotician (using the most obscure and unfunny pun imaginable), and now known more humbly as Wirkman Netizen (playing off the URL, wirkman dot net).
Click here for this site's general fair-use permissions statement.